May 5, 2010

Who has two thumbs, no common sense, and really wants to work out?......This gal!

Why do I keep doing it? I know I have to be up early to work out. So why do I keep staying up late? We went down to Provo last night to watch the Jazz game with our fav. hang out buddies Heather and Allen. Good news? We got to hang out with the coolest pipe - smoking, smokers jacket wearing, uber feminist couple there ever was!, got to watch the Jazz, got to eat some Cafe Rio, and got to watch David go crazy over creamies. The bad news? The Jazz lost. To the Lakers. The game didn't start till 8:30 so it wasn't over till 11 ish. And I was really feeling the Rio this morning.

It wouldn't have actually been bad at all if we'd just come home after the game and gone to bed. But no. I found my ipod, and knowing I was going to be running again in the morning, I wanted to charge it. Simple right? Except now I couldn't find my charger. We ended up staying up until past midnight trying to find everything, and then getting it all set up once it was found. Stupid. However, I still got up at 6 (well, 6:10. I hit the snooze a couple times) and hit the gym. The Rio was sitting pretty heavy in my stomach, but I powered through. I ran another 3 miles again today. And I cut 2 whole minutes off my time from Monday! I know it's not much, but yipee! I ran a mile, walked for one minute, ran another mile, walked for 5 minutes, ran the last mile. It felt really good. I'd like to be able to do the whole thing without stopping to walk, but I'll take what I can get, especially after 3 years of doing nothing.

My first day it took me 39.47 minutes to run the 3 miles. Today it took me 37.38. Not great, but actually considerably better than I thought I'd be doing at this stage. That's a 12 minute mile, which I think people walk a mile in 10, so I run slower than most people walk. But hey, I'm out there and I'm doing it. That's gotta count for something, right?

Well, that's all for today. I'm a lot less sore today than I have been the last couple days after running, so I guess my body's slowing being conditioned. Things are good, and as slow and beginner as all this may seem, I'm very pleased.

Oh, I want to add one more measurement to the mix, because this is the one I really care about. I'm actually thrilled with all the rest, but what really needs work are the THIGHS! So here it is: at the biggest part of my thigh I am 21 1/2". That seems really big to me, especially if my stomach is 28. But whatever. Let's see if running brings that number down any. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love the reference to us in this post(especially our alter-egos). I also love that i get to run this marathon vicariously through you, because the only thing that felt heavy in my stomach that next morning was the baby growing inside of it.
But really I don't think i can read this blog much, it makes me too jealous. But also excited that you are moving to the valley soon and I'll have someone to help me lose all of these extra creamies with come august.

Mom said...

When I was doing all my walking we only did 15 minute miles and thought we were walking fast (and I think we were)!!! Either that or we were really a old : ) So I think your running is going pretty good.

Mom said...

Please delete the a before old...that's what happens when you don't proofread !