May 29, 2010

Some bad news (that's kind of good news), and the GREAT news that (hopefully) counteracts the bad

Are you curious? I know, that title is the best blog post title in the history of all blog post titles. And it really got you thinking. I know. I'm amazing.

Anyway, bad titles aside, I first wanted to say thank you to my readers who left comments and emails about my breathing. You were right. That's TOTALLY what was giving me side cramps. When I run, I usually go in the wee hours of the morning, so it's either snowing, or I'm running next to puddles that are frozen solid. I guess I have a hard time breathing properly in the cold. But I focused more on my breathing today and didn't get one side cramp. So yay!!!!

Okay, so the bad news (that's actually good news) is that Trevor is done nursing. He was just done. He was actually done 2 months ago but I really wanted to make it to a year (mostly because formula's so dang expensive)so I forced him to nurse. In a battle of the wills. But he just wouldn't allow it, and he ended up winning. Betrayed by my own body, I stopped making milk.

In all honesty, I love the freedom. I haven't had my body all to myself for THREE YEARS! For the last three years I've either had someone living inside me or eating from me. It's nice for my body to be just mine. Very liberating. I love being pregnant, but having 2 babies back to back was a little much for me. The bad thing? Nursing burns SO MANY calories!!!! I haven't had to work out or watch what I eat in forever because of it. I'm really terrified that not nursing is going to make me pack on the pounds.

But, there is some great news that will (hopefully) counteract the bad........

drumroll........................

I am officially running the St. George Marathon in October. That's right, I paid my 80 bucks, got my name on a roster, and am running 26.2 miles on October 2nd. Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaawwwww! So hopefully the training will burn the calories that nursing would have been burning.

That being said, today my long run was 8 miles. I ran it without stopping once! It's been fun to watch how my body has adapted to all this running and how much progress I'm making. Just one month ago I couldn't even run a mile. Anyway, I digress. Back to the 8 mile run today. That's about a third of the race right there, so I think my training is on track and I will be ready when the big day comes.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh! I'm sooooo excited for you! I wish I could be there cheering you on! What a thrill and amazing experience the marathon will be. I'm so impressed by your dedication and so, so proud of you.

And yay for getting your body back--I felt that same way after I was done nursing Jade. I felt selfish, but it was so great to have the freedom, like you said. Enjoy it!

Mom said...

Awesome on the progress...I totally think you'll make it!!! And it will be interesting to see what happens to the calorie consumption/calorie burning non nursing ratio : )

Ashley C said...

WHOA!! You're running a marathon? That is awesome! I would be terrified. I'm sure you'll do amazing because you have progressed so fast. You seem like a natural runner.

And yes, the sandwich thins come in whole wheat, which is what I eat. They are pretty good. I would rather eat 2 pieces of bread because I just love bread. But that would be over 200 calories, so this is a good alternative.