May 6, 2010

Fartlek

Today I ran my first (unfortunately named) fartlek - an exercise combining sprinting and jogging, and in my case, some amount of walking as well.

It. kicked. my. trash. Seriously, it was so much harder than I thought it would be. I am not a sprinter. I had a really hard time with it. And my oh so lovely asthma made and appearance, so looks like if I'm going to continue sprinting I'm going to need my inhaler.

Still, I did it. I only did a 20 minute fartlek today. I got 2.48 miles (that includes my 5 minute warm up and cool down walk). Not great. I was pretty disappointed.

Also I wanted to note that even though I've only been doing this for 4 days, I have noticed a change in the circumference of my legs. Not my thighs, but my calfs. And they're not getting smaller, they're getting bigger. I hate this part of my body. My legs really are my problem area. And they bulk up so easily and quickly. I hate it. I looked down at my calves today and they looked like upside down bowling pins. Yuck. Oh well, if it means I'm healthy I'll take it! I am just excited to be getting into shape and getting healthy.

3 comments:

Annalisa said...

I am impressed with your courage. Getting healthy is one thing, but blogging about it is another. I can't belive you lost all of that baby weight...130 is a good size and who are we kidding you have great legs and a long torso. I love that you have been consistent lately and joining a gym was a good idea. I love, love, love my gym class. I take step aerobics and it has made such a huge difference in my energy, toning etc etc....except for my weight...I hvaen't lost one pound...how is the possible. Anyways...go girl, I am proud of you.

Shannon said...

I know, I've been talking to Heather about your class and how much you love it. That's so exciting. And if it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure I'm gaining weight, not losing it! Ha ha ha. I just keep telling myself that muscle weighs more than fat. And to me having a healthy heart is much more important than a number on a scale. So kudos to you for all your hard work. Your family is what has inspired me. All you girls are so inspirational. I've always felt very insecure about my physicality around you guys. You all rock!!!! So thanks for the inspiration, and I can't wait to see you in September!!!! YEEEE HAWWWWWW!

Mom said...

Okay wait a minute...upside down bowling pin calves...really...that's my thing as you know and I can assure you that your legs look nothing like mine so keep up all your good work : )