May 25, 2010

Advice would be appreciated!

I went on my 3 mile run again this morning. I got about a mile and a half into it and got the worst side cramp ever! I'm used to getting them. I actually get them all the time on my right side under my rib. I don't know what causes them (do you? Please share!) but I get them every time I run. I usually run through it and it goes away. If it doesn't go away I just slow down a bit and hold my side until it subsides. It always does. No matter how bad it is, I can always run it off.

Today was different.

I honestly could not shake the thing! It was so sharp, too. I'd never felt anything like it. It literally had me doubled over. You runners out there, what is this?!? I'm sure it happens to everyone who runs, but seeing as I've never run before it caught me by surprise and I didn't know what to do about it. It really ruined my whole run for me. I was bummed. I ended up doing the whole run and adding a half mile on, but it was not an enjoyable run for me.

Those of you out there who know what you're doing when it comes to this whole exercise thing, please impart your knowledge.
What causes this?
How do I prevent it?
How do I stop it once it has happened?

Any answers you have would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Rebekka said...

You don't know me but I've stumbled my way to your blog by way of Grapefruit...Now, I would never classify myself as a runner, but I do like to run. I've heard and learned that these side cramps come when you aren't breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. Next time the cramp comes, take deeps breaths in through the nose as described above. Hopefully this works! It usually works for me :).

Unknown said...

I second Rebekka's advice. Side cramps while running are usually caused from lack of oxygen. And I am the worst exercise-breather ever. I keep catching myself holding my breath while lifting weights! I know it's horrible - I know better! I just can't help it.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and keep posting updates!