May 17, 2011

In love

I had completely forgotten how much I love running. It has been such a pain this year that I thought I was done with it for good. But then everything just suddenly clicked and, like Forest Gump, I. Was. Run-ning. It's weird and beautiful when that happens. It's like a hurdle you just have to get over and then once you do, running is fun again!

I've been running 4 miles every day. I haven't had to use my inhaler at all which is quite a feat for me. I don't think I've run without an inhaler in, well, ever. Not ever in my entire life. In fact, I remember one time in high school I was running the track for our strength and conditioning training during cheer practice, and I had such a bad asthma attack I threw up all over the track in front of the entire Varsity Football team. I wanted to die. And I figured that my asthma would always hold me back and cause me massive embarrassment. That has been true many times over in my life. I think it was this latest move from Heber to Tucson that did it for me. I'm not allergic to anything here, and my asthma is highly allergy induced. That's my theory anyway.

Saturday I ran 7 miles and it was my best run yet. It just felt good. Every last mile felt good. I wasn't really ready to stop at the end, and that rarely happens to me. I've been able to keep my shin splints under control and I feel like this is becoming a little more natural again. I'm not super fast yet. I know I'm at a 10 minute mile. I'm completely okay with that.

I feel like my rapid weight gain is finally under control and I'm not eating everything in sight. My pants are fitting me again. I don't have constant muffin top. I'm still heavier than I'd like to be, but I'm happy with where I am now. The weather here is beautiful. Every day there is a cool breeze and I just sit on the patio and watch my boys run around the backyard for about an hour after I come home from running. Life is good. And my motivation is running high!

2 comments:

shelley said...

i love it when i feel that way about life. it really is a high. when i'm in my lower points i actually forget what those highs felt like and wonder if i'll ever feel that way again. so when they come back, it's always an awesome feeling.

glad you're happy and running. hopefully your high lasts for a good long while. :)

Ashley C said...

That's so awesome, Shannon. I'm glad running is going so well for you. Training is going great for me also. I ran 6 miles this morning and I loved it. I was really nervous beforehand because 6 miles just seemed really intimidating, but it was a really great run. I'm so glad that I'm doing this. And that you are too! Doesn't it just make you so much happier? I hope I don't get injured or anything. That must have been so frustrating for you.