June 4, 2011

Arizona Heat

It's hot here. Really really hot. I'd forgotten how hot it gets, and how early it turns that way. I've been needing to start my run earlier and earlier as the weeks pass, but it turns out now I need to start at 5am if I don't want to puke. Oh well, every run has an end, so you only have to deal with the heat for a short period of time.

Today was a long run day, 10 miles. I wanted Sam to come with me, so I had him ride his bike alongside me. He was a champ and agreed to do it. We woke up at 6, but had to set up our water stations and adjust his bike seat, so we didn't get started on our run until almost 7. It was already so so so so hot. But it was good. It was a good run and it was so much fun to run with Sam right there with me. I really enjoyed it. He made me laugh and he kept telling me I was a "warrior" which was silly, but kept me motivated. The route I had picked was a hard one. Really really tough. But it was good. It was a mile downhill, 8 miles up, and a mile down. It was rough on the joints, but it was fun. One of the hills in the middle of the run was a steep two mile stretch. We were halfway up, and Sam looks at me and said, "So..........your plan is just to bang out all these hills? Do we ever get to go down?" It made me laugh. He told me I should have thought my route out a little more. Ha ha ha. That's where the nickname "warrior" first started.

I came home hot, sticky, sore, underarms chaffed (I forgot to wear any glide.......Dang it!) and blisters on my heels the size on Montana, but it was my favorite run to date. It was really fun to be out doing something like that with Samby. He's a pretty good guy.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Cute, cute! I love that Sam rode along with you. That is adorable. But knowing how funny Sam is, it is hard to believe you could run at all. :) Also, as you know I am super impressed you can run 10 miles, but I am also impressed Sam can bike 10--especially uphill. I'm pretty sure I can't even ride a bike--I don't care how that saying goes. Great job on the run, now get some rest and let your body do some healing today!